Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I Coulda Been Somebody

What’s the movie where the guy says, “I coulda been a contender”?




Sometimes I feel like that.

Then I sit back and think about what the prize would have been had I won. I was never going to be a contender, I was never gonna make anything out of my life. Nothing substantial anyway. Not because I couldn’t, but because I wouldn’t. I’ve never had a passion for anything other than me…and at times…I wasn’t even passionate enough about myself.

Case in point, my current situation; if I was half as in love with myself as I should be…I wouldn’t be where I am now. I feel used. Like an old mattress that starts to dip in the middle. It’s a comfort spot; I’m a comfort spot. Not good for you and probably gives more aches and pains than actual pleasure or rest. I need to be thrown out for my own sake. It, I, ain’t going to move itself...

…which speaks volumes about my own character and self-esteem and good old fashion common sense. It’s not like I don’t have common sense. My character and self-esteem are actual issues though. Things I really do need to work on because trying to lay blame at someone else’s door is foolish when I know where the fault lays. Not all faults mind you but the fault in staying…settling for something that was never meant for me. And to think about it, I never wanted. So, me being caught up in this emotion I have can’t be laid at anyone’s door. Can’t be blamed on another’s actions. I did this. I had choices and options and I went with the option that best presented itself. I knew going into it that there was a probability for risk. I took that risk.

So 13 months into it, I feel like I’ve been down this path before and I’ve heard the stories before and I’ve felt the shame and the degradation of self observance and now, just like then, I know that I have put myself on hold to settle for…well, for bullshit…essentially.

Now just like anyone else, I can try and come up with the why’s and how come’s but it’s rarely needed once you pick up a mirror and realize, what you put out is what you’re going to get back in return. Safe to say, I’ve thrown some bullshit at the universe and she has graciously felt I needed it more than she did. So, I am stuck with bullshit of my own making. Trying to pass it off as if I was the receiver rather than the creator.

I coulda been a contender!

I had a chance to sit back and review some of the “relationships” that I have had in the past. I found a reason to walk away in all of them. My line was never, “it’s me, not you”…it was always “it’s you, not me”. Can’t say that I was one for placing blame at my own door step. Although in all truthfulness, I was always to blame. Well, for the most part.

2 comments:

Curious said...

Wow, I was thinking about scene just the other day although not in relationship to your life and actually it was more of the earlier lines where Brando says, "You should have looked out for me Charlie, you were my brother." I think this is the part where Elia Kazan the director is telling us that none of us are islands and that we have responsibilities not just to ourselves but to those around us.

Sure you could have been a contender and maybe one in the future but if there's going to be no one in your corner backing you up then you're going to find it mighty difficult to get there.

Pardon Me But... said...

Curious: I have always loved that you can volley back court and make me have to do a quick two-step to make sure my presence is known. For no other reason that...I ain't letting you get away with the last word...

It's society's belief that I have to have an "other", a back up, someone in my corner...and usually that translates to a sig nif.
I don't believe that.
At some point, don't we all have to stand up to to our decisions and actions, each and every one of them?
I know I can't say it was someone else responsibility to make sure I lived up to my potential. It's my responsibility. Does it make it easier to have that someone whispering "you can do it!, I know you can"? Yes. But at the end of the day, ME being ME, for ME and happy being ME... regardless of what you say, I gotta believe it.

Difficulty is not in doing it yourself. Difficulty is acknowledging that at the end of the day, you're responsible for yourself. Easy way is to use someone else to determine what you can and can not do. You can't say, "imma put the blame on you for not encouraging me, for being the fuck up that I am". No one can live for you, no one can die for you.